Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cranberry cake ,anyone ?

One of the things I love about the holiday season is Cranberries.

There are so many ways that you can use them; salsas, drinks, cakes, relish, the list can go on and on, but it is sort of sad ( well to me it is ) that fresh ones are only available for, 60 or so days then they are gone till next year.
fresh cranberries


Now don't get me wrong, dried ones are great too, but there is just something about a fresh cranberry. The taste ,texture, they way it just explodes in your mouth , the hint of tang it can add to a dish , whether it is meat or a baked good. You just don't get that with dried ones.

screaming to be used :)
Now, the hard part for me is trying to find just the right recipe to use the cranberries in , one that will not be to difficult for me to convert to GF and that I already have all the ingredients for ( I hate having to run to the commissary for missing ingredients )

And today I was lucky, Shelly from Simple Abundance just happened to have just the recipe I was looking for , Cranberry Almond Pound Cake, not to hard and not to simple , but just right ! :0)
Plus, I had all the ingredients , too !!

the ingredients, minus the flour

The recipe for the cranberry almond pound cake was really simple and I did not have to alter it to much for it to be GF or to my taste buds :)

I used;

1 1/4 cup of Truvia
1 cup + 3 TBS of butter ( used Parkay)
1 1/2 tsp of almond extract
1/2 tsp of butter extract
6 eggs
1cup of Greek yogurt ( I used Chobani)
75 mL of water
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of fine sea salt
3 cups of AP GF flour ( I used Better Batter flour)
2 cups of fresh cranberries

and for the glaze:

2 TBS of water
1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar

Other than having to adjust the ingredient list I followed her mixing instructions to a "T"

all ready for the pan

I did bake mine at 330F ( my oven is off by 5 degrees) for 1 hr and 5m.

and ready for the oven
Now waiting an hour plus for something to bake is really hard to do, okay, maybe it is just hard for ME to do.
before the icing

 The smell of this was heaven and I admit I was sort of salivating when I took it from the oven, but then it hit me I had to wait another 20m for it cool before I could put the icing on it :(.

with icing
But, this was SO worth the wait.

the first piece went to Gabriel

This was a very moist bundt cake , with just the right amount of sweetness and tart to it.
The only thing I would change for next time is to add either some almond or vanilla extract to the glaze, to give it a bit more flavor, other than the "powdered sugar " flavor, but over all everyone seemed to the enjoy it.

what was left of the cake

At least I think they did, what do you think ? :0)



No comments:

Post a Comment